Leprechaun Reboot Will Go Back to Franchise’s Roots, Aims to Be ‘Scary as Hell’ and ‘Hilarious’

Forum 1 month ago

Leprechaun Reboot Will Go Back to Franchise’s Roots, Aims to Be ‘Scary as Hell’ and ‘Hilarious’

Felipe Vargas says the new Leprechaun reboot is aiming to be “scary as hell” and hilarious.

Speaking on the Splattercast podcast, per ComicBook.com, Vargas shared an update regarding the upcoming Leprechaun reboot.

“I’m so honored to be on that project,” he said. “It’s such a cool franchise. To me what makes the franchise so special is that it really is limitless. It doesn’t need to be grounded. It can just be gory, sexy, crazy. We’re still figuring out that tone … And the balance between horror and comedy. I would love for it to be scary as hell and also hilarious. I think we’re going back to a lot of the roots of Leprechaun in a lot of different ways, which I’m really excited about. But I think you also want to bring on a new audience. So it’s a really tricky one to figure out.”

What do we know about the new Leprechaun movie?

To date, there have been eight films in the Leprechaun franchise: 1993’s Leprechaun, 1994’s Leprechaun 2, 1995’s Leprechaun 3, 1997’s Leprechaun 4: In Space, 2000’s Leprechaun in the Hood, 2003’s Leprechaun: Back 2 tha Hood, 2014’s Leprechaun: Origins, and 2018’s Leprechaun Returns.

Lionsgate announced that Vargas was helming a new Leprechaun reboot in June 2023. Mike Van Wees is writing the script, while Roy Lee is producing the movie.

“Thirty years after its debut, this franchise still casts a spell, and we’re thrilled to be bringing it back with a new vision,” Erin Westerman, president of production for Lionsgate’s Motion Picture Group, said at the time. “Roy and Miri are two of our most trusted producers, especially with this genre, and we’re excited by Felipe’s vision for the film as a director. In his hands, this movie should be very scary and a ton of fun.”

No casting announcements have been made at this time. The new Leprechaun movie does not yet have a release date.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
My Rumoured Death Lie From Hell – Zack Orji
Forum | 1 week ago

My Rumoured Death Lie From Hell – Zack Orji

Refuge Trailer Unleashes Hell in New Renny Harlin Horror Movie
Forum | 1 week ago

Refuge Trailer Unleashes Hell in New Renny Harlin Horror Movie

Melissa Barrera Is Open to Starring in Scary Movie 6 Following Scream Exit
Forum | 1 week ago

Melissa Barrera Is Open to Starring in Scary Movie 6 Following Scream Exit